KRUSHEVO CULTURE

Museum of the Ilinden Uprising

The Museum of the Ilinden Uprising and the Krusevo Republic opened on August 2, 1953, on the 50th anniversary of the Ilinden Uprising and the Krusevo Republic in the house from which the Krusevo Republic proclaimed independence in 1903. This house previously belonged to the Tomalevski family.

The museum has on display a large number of exhibits from the time of the Ilinden Uprising, the weapons used by the insurgents, documents and various items from this period. Here is also the original dial from the bell tower of the “St. Nicholas” Church, which was burned and destroyed by the Ottoman armies and the Bashibozuk during the Uprising. In the Museum there is also a replica of the legendary cherry ball, the sarcophagus in which the relics of Nikola Karev were brought.